High Performance File Sync & Share
SeaFile is an open source file sync & share solution which gives your team the convenience of a cloud storage service such as Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive in a trusted, self-hosted environment. SeaFile uses a concept called Libraries to organize different collections of files and folders. Each user can create multiple libraries to segregate data for different purposes (e.g. work vs. personal) and delegate read-only or read/write access permissions to other users as needed.
SeaFile is written in C, giving it highly optimized performance compared to other apps built with higher level programming languages such as PHP. Deployments at universities across Europe, including HU Berlin and Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, have shown that a few SeaFile virtual machines can easily scale to thousands of users.
Self-hosted alternative for: Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive
Special features: Lightweight, efficient syncing algorithm
Benefits of SeaFile
- Delta Syncing – Significantly speeds up sync and reduces bandwidth usage
- Multi-User – Admin can manage users, monitor usage and set storage quotas
- Cross Platform – Clients for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android and iOS
- Selective Sync with SeaFile Client, or access as network drive using SeaDrive
- File History – Download, view and restore older revisions of files
- Security options – Client-side encrypted libraries